Monday, January 23, 2012

greetings from Zimbabwe jan. 23


Why hello there family and friends!
This last week we received transfers, and as such, there was bad news and there was good news. My companion, Elder Hayes, got transfer ed to Harare, and my new companion (drum-roll please) is Elder Shields, with whom I spent a nice amount of time over Christmas, and got to know him fairly well (considering it was 3 days).
 
Presently, I am almost finished with Jesus the Christ (James E. Talmage) and will be getting my scriptures (finished) around thursday. I can't wait to see them. =P
This week, My comp and I were able to be at choir, but we still had only 2 other people. We started working on 'brightly beams our fathers mercy'. It is sounding iffy at the moment, but in time it will be sounding great; we just need to get more people to choir! Other than that, I have seen a few more chameleons and took some fun pictures with Elder Hayes. We ate out 2x this last week, Chinese, and at Nando's, and I made chicken curry twice. Overall however, teaching-wise it was a pretty bad week. People weren't out, and people weren't home, so our lessons and contacts were low. This next week I hope it will be better.
 
My new comp just got here, and I hope today takes a turn upwards. I was at the email shop trying to get the internet to work for 40 minutes before I even got a glimpse of my inbox, but the emails from those who sent them were nice, and letters received are greatly appreciated.
 
With nothing else to say, I will move onto questions.
 
Questions (answers in bold)
Aunt Michelle
I know africa is really big  but not sure what to compare it to. I mean is it as big as the united states or big like  texas? 
not sure for certain, but roughly around 3x the size of America
THe other thing I was wondering and worrying about is In certain parts there is fighting  and dangerous things going on. i believe alot of politics- not sure of the fighting  or what its about but have you heard about it?
I haven't heard anything about that, it is quite peaceful in Zimbabwe siNdebele
then  another thing I was wondering , is language  I thought certian areas spoke french?
There are well over 100 dialects and languages throughout Africa. The 3 in Zimbabwe are Shona, siNdebele, and English
also  what type of money do they use? is it euro"s or european? or is it american?
American Dollar, and the South African Rand
Nathan
1. While in Zimmy, Have you discovered more about yourself?
Much, the largest how much I didn't know about the Gospel. Also, I am in the process of taking notes (at length) for a book I will write when home. 
2. Have you been in need of your mad spear master skills?
I have yet to find a spear, sadly, and regardless, there has been no danger I have been in besides the puff adder =P
3. What was the most random thing said to you?
not sure to be honest. . .
4. Anyone there play the violin? (besides yourself)
nope
5. Have you answered the question if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it...does it make a sound?
it makes three different sounds actually. The problem is, 2 of them are only audible to monkeys and snails, and the other 4 (puzzle out my math) mesh together in a certain way which, although it sounds cool, can't be heard in an environment which has any form of gravity.
6. What kind of birds are there?  any that make you want to knaw your ears off?
I think they are swallows. They have long tails, and before you ask, I haven't seen very any carrying coconuts north to England. Besides, South African swallows are non-migratory. 7. What was your most remembered lession done so far?
if by lession, you mean legion, I haven't seen any outside of Rome (haven't been there in a while. . . or ever). However, if you mean lesson, then let me 'splainNo, there is too much. Let me sum up.
One person we are teaching has a large problem with the word of wisdom. And on multiple occasions, he has expressed a great desire to have us continue teaching him, because he feels the spirit so strongly (and this while absolutely drunk). For any of you who have spent much time with drunkards, the spirit does not come easily, or be felt by them almost at all. He is making great strides, and although he isn't completely clean yet, he is getting much better at saying 'no' and dealing with his anger issues.
 Well, that said, I bid you all adieu. Until next time.
I will keep you all in my heart and in my prayers.
 
Love,
Elder Taggart Williams


--
Remember: Pray always, and look to the Lord. Write often, and live life to it's fullest.

Doubt is the seed of failure. ~Taggart Williams

Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not. ~God (D+C 6:36)

No comments:

Post a Comment